In this blog I have included a quick new video review on Protandim and a new peer reviewed study released 2 weeks ago . Protandim consists of 5 herbal extracts: Ashwagandha, Bacopa, Curcumin, Green tea, and Milk Thistle.
The 5 ingredients together in one pill were allowed 3 patents because together their synergistic affect was 18 times more powerful than any of the herbs individually.
New Peer Reviewed Study...
Protandim® Found to Prevent a Process that Causes Blood Vessel Blockage in New Peer-Reviewed Study From The Ohio State University
Protandim® prevents the proliferation of cells that can cause re-blockage of vessels following coronary artery bypass surgery, stenting, and carotid enarterectomy.
SAN DIEGO, Jan. 4, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- LifeVantage Corporation (OTC Bulletin Board:LFVN.ob - News), the maker of science-based solutions to oxidative stress, announced today that a new peer-reviewed study involving its flagship product, Protandim®, sponsored by the American Heart Association and the National Institutes of Health, was published in the scientific journal Free Radical Biology and Medicine. The study, conducted by researchers at The Ohio State University, examined the biochemical mechanisms that underlie the ability of Protandim® to suppress intimal hyperplasia (over-proliferation of cells that line the vessel wall), a common adverse event that limits the effectiveness of several types of vascular surgery. Protandim®, a patented dietary supplement comprised of five highly synergistic herbal ingredients, has been shown in earlier studies to activate the transcription factor Nrf2, a signal to the cell's DNA to regulate a network of protective genes. This new study further investigates Protandim's® ability to increase production of the body's Nrf2-regulated protective genes, sometimes referred to as "survival genes", which include most of the antioxidant enzymes.
The study, titled "Protandim attenuates intimal hyperplasia in human saphenous veins cultured ex vivo via a catalase-dependent pathway" by Binata Joddar, Rashmeet K. Reen, Michael S. Firstenberg, Saradhadevi Varadharaj, Joe M. McCord, Jay L. Zweier, and Keith J. Gooch is published in the journal Free Radical Biology and Medicine and may be found at the following link.
Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery is performed more than 400,000 times a year in the United States. Most procedures requiring multiple bypasses still utilize the saphenous vein (taken from the leg) for secondary grafts. Ten years after CABG surgery, roughly half of the saphenous vein grafts will have become largely, if not completely blocked by processes that may result from intimal hyperplasia. Previous studies concluded that a major factor causing this condition is the three-to-five-fold higher concentration of oxygen experienced by the graft in its new environment. In this study, treatment with Protandim® significantly increased antioxidant enzyme activity in veins cultured at high oxygen, while reducing free radical levels, lipid peroxidation, and, importantly, reducing intimal proliferation to the level seen in a normal healthy saphenous vein.
"This study was conducted in an ex vivo model using human saphenous veins harvested from patients undergoing bypass surgery—the exact population who might benefit from a therapy to prevent intimal hyperplasia," said Dr. McCord, a co-author of the study. "Future animal studies will attempt to demonstrate the ability of Protandim® to block post-surgical intimal hyperplasia in vivo, following not only the CABG procedure, but perhaps angioplasty with stent insertion or carotid endarterectomy, as well. The long-term effectiveness of all three procedures is limited by eventual restenosis, a return of blockage often due to intimal hyperplasia. The three procedures together affect more than 1.5 million Americans every year."
"Protandim® was shown in an earlier human trial to increase antioxidant enzyme production and to eliminate the age-dependent increase in the most widely used marker of oxidative stress. The current study, as well as other recent studies, have shown that Protandim® provides benefits to the body that extend beyond its ability to decrease oxidative stress," stated David Brown, LifeVantage President and CEO. "This study was independently funded by the American Heart Association and by the Heart, Lung, Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health. LifeVantage greatly appreciates the continuing academic interest in Protandim® shown by researchers such as Dr. Keith Gooch and his colleagues. We continue to be encouraged at the tool that Protandim® has become for researchers of many health conditions associated with oxidative stress."
A quick video review as to why I recommend everyone take this product and why I have all my anti-aging and health clients on it when possible.
Why take Protandim
Protandim is an anti-aging breakthrough.
You really need to see all 3 of these short videos, that were featured on ABC, NBC, PBS, to see just how much of a breakthrough this really is. Purchase product.
Protandim is made up of 5 nutraceutical herbs, 3 of which I have been touting for over 5 years on HealthBlogger. It is the first Nrf2 Activator on the market that up-regulates the survival genes that help the human body fight stress and down-regulates pro-fibrotic and pro-inflammatory genes that help us fight infection.
Protandim signals the body to produce it’s own antioxidant enzymes which can eliminate free radicals exponentially better than traditional antioxidants. Protandim is backed by three patents, clinical trials, peer-reviewed studies, and scrutinized by regulatory agencies.
Studies show Protandim increases levels of the anti-aging enzymes Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) by 30%, Catalase by 54%, and Glutathione by over 300%.
Protandim is the ONLY product clinically proven to reduce oxidative stress by 40%.
Protandim is a patented, anti-aging supplement specially formulated to combat oxidative stress and reverses cell aging in the genes -- where the DNA is damaged. This may very well be the leading solution to aging and degenerative processes in the body.
Developed after 40 years of research exclusively for LifeVantage and featured on ABC, NBC, PBS, in The Wall Street Journal, and described in CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Guptas book, Chasing Life, Protandim reverses cell aging in your genes.
While Protandim makes no claims YET, other than it is an anti-aging supplement, it is being studied in 18 clinical trials currently because of it’s far reaching effects. But when you understand what these 3 enzymes do you can make up your own mind what the possibilities may be.
Learn what these enzymes do inside our bodies…
While SOD has been linked to youthfulness, longevity, and protection against chronic illnesses, the body’s production of SOD drops dramatically with advancing age.
Conditions associated with free-radical damage that may benefit from increased SOD levels include a host of inflammatory and degenerative diseases:
- Nowhere are the signs of aging more visible than in the skin, where the effects of free-radical damage accumulate and produce visible signs of skin aging. SOD may help to protect against age-related skin wrinkling by arresting the breakdown of collagen, an essential protein that tones and strengthens the skin.22
- A chronic illness with many serious complications, diabetes is associated with increased oxidative stress. Increasing SOD levels may help fight the onset and progression of diabetes.23
- SOD’s powerful antioxidant properties could have important therapeutic applications in preventing and managing cancer.24-26 Scientists now believe that genetically based deficiencies of SOD are linked to an increased susceptibility of certain people to breast and pancreatic cancers.24,25 Ensuring adequate SOD levels may help protect against these potentially deadly malignancies.
- By shielding the body from superoxide radicals, SOD may help prevent the cellular and tissue damage associated with cardiovascular disease.27-29 While mainstream medicine promotes high cholesterol as the primary culprit in atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease, low levels of SOD and other antioxidants may be even more important factors in elevating cardiovascular risk.30 Providing the body with optimal antioxidant support could protect against America’s leading cause of premature death.
- The nervous system is highly susceptible to oxidative stress. Because of its ability to protect against superoxide radicals, SOD may guard against the cellular and tissue damage tied to neurological disease.27 Specific neurological diseases linked to abnormalities in SOD include multiple sclerosis31 and Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases.32-34
- Superoxide radicals help perpetuate the chronic pain associated with inflammation. SOD’s ability to neutralize superoxide radicals is associated with pain relief,35 with potential benefits for numerous conditions, including fibromyalgia, a chronic source of muscle pain.36
- Superoxide radicals also underlie the pain and inflammation of arthritis. Research demonstrates that patients with rheumatoid arthritis have lower dietary levels and reduced activity of SOD and glutathione peroxidase (a related antioxidant enzyme) than do healthy subjects.37 Rheumatoid arthritis sufferers also exhibit lower levels of SOD in joint-cushioning cartilage cells known as chondrocytes, leaving these cells vulnerable to the damaging effects of nitric oxide and oxygen radicals.38,39 These findings suggest that depleted levels of critical antioxidants such as SOD perpetuate crippling rheumatoid arthritis.
- Scientists have linked inflammation to many chronic diseases that accompany aging. Both in cells grown in the laboratory and in live animals, SOD improved the function of white blood cells of the immune system known as macrophages. Although macrophages subjected to oxidative stress release the inflammatory compound called tumor necrosis factor, those treated with SOD release the anti-inflammatory cytokine interleukin-10 (IL-10) instead.14
- Studies have shown that people who reach the age of 90 or 100 have high blood levels of IL-10, which may protect them from the ravages of aging and from developing cancer by reducing inflammation.40 By promoting the release of IL-10, SOD may help the body ward off inflammation, in a manner similar to that seen in individuals who survive to a very old age.
- Other studies similarly suggest that SOD may be an important determinant of life span and longevity. Among various mammal species, those that produce higher tissue and serum levels of SOD live longer than those who do not.41,42 This findings suggests that boosting SOD levels may be an important strategy for extending the healthy human life span.
In summation, a wealth of scientific evidence indicates that optimizing SOD levels may help to avert the many diseases associated with inflammation and aging, including diabetes, heart disease, neurological conditions, cancer, skin aging, and arthritis.
Health Benefits of GlutathioneLiver Disease
In various liver diseases (fatty liver, acute and chronic hepatitis, cirrhosis, etc.), a four-to-eight-fold decrease in GSH was observed. The investigators postulated that low GSH contributed to liver injury. Pre-treatment with GSH offered significant protection in these clinical trials.Lung Disease
GSH deficiencies have been documented in a number of pulmonary diseases, including acute respiratory distress syndrome, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, etc. When GSH levels were brought up to normal, patients improved significantly.Immunity
The proliferation, growth, and differentiation of immune cells are dependent on GSH. Both the T and the B lymphocytes require adequate levels of GSH for differentiation. Patients with low GSH levels were found to have significantly lower CD4count. Low GSH status is of particular importance in patients with HIV and/or autoimmune diseases e.g. systematic lupus erythematosis and rheumatoid arthritis.Cerebral Dysfunction
The brain is highly oxygenated and has highly saturated lipid content and is therefore particularly vulnerable to peroxidation. Parkinson's disease, schizophrenia and Tardive dyskinesia have been linked to free-radical overload with corresponding reduced levels of cellular GSH.Atherosclerosis
Atherosclerosis appears to be linked to oxidative damage to the vessel wall. Increased lipid peroxides, decreased GSH peroxidase and prostacyclin (PGI2) have been documented in human and animal atherosclerotic arteries.
Glutathione: The "mother" of all antioxidants... Dr. Mark Hyman… Diet can only have a small effect on its production, but listen to how important this enzyme is to your health. Protandim increases Glutathione by 300%.
If you want to include this product in your program and lessen the amount of pills you are taking, e-mail me and I will review your program with you at no cost.
Christopher Wiechert's Healthblogger is for educational or informational purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose or provide treatment for any condition. If you have any concerns about your own health, you should always consult with a health care professional. If you decide to use this information on your own, it's your constitutional right, but I assume no responsibility. The views expressed on this website are those of the health professionals & scientists I list or my own opinions and are not intended to replace any medical advice you may require. The contents have not been approved by the Pharmaceutical Association, the American Medical Association, or the Food and Drug Administration. This website may present views diametrically opposed to the views of such organizations. I also offer resources to products I formulate as well as those that I believe are of high value and quality. Profits from these recommendations are used to keep HealthBlogger free to those who read and appreciate the time and research that goes into these posts. It has been my experience over the last 30 years that if I offer reports and research without product recommendations, you will most likely pay more at the local health food store, and may not get the right product or the quality you would expect. I only recommend companies I respect and order from myself. I consider this a value added service that I offer along with the research. If you find this a conflict of interest, please don't order from my links.
Christopher Wiechert, C.N.C. is available for consultation, on your health issues.
Contact Information: http://cwiechert.com/contactus.html
Download HealthBlogger Toolbar today!
Help HealthBlogger grow and prosper…
Christopher Wiechert, C.N.C.
cwiechert.com - Take control of your own health
HealthBlogger - News and commentary on health, wellness and anti-aging
CW's Health & Wellness Online Mall - Look for nice discounts on quality health products
Orthomolecular Formulations - Nutraceuticals formulated by Christopher Wiechert, C.N.C.
MBI Nutraceuticals - Glandular & Homeopathic Formulations
Facebook - Add me as a friend
Twitter - Follow me!!!
E-Mail - Send comments or questions you want HealthBlogger to address
"The doctor of the future will prescribe no drugs, but will interest his patients in the care and nutrition of the human frame and in the cause and prevention of disease." - Thomas Edison